RE: E-M:/ Michigan Environmental Council Capitol Update

Jessica:

Animal Feeding Operations (AFOs) is the broad category of livestock operations including both those that are regulated under the Clean Water Act, specifically through a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) General Permit, and those that are not.  At this time, a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) is the term used for an AFO that is required to come under the NPDES General Permit  -- a CAFO is a facility that houses at least 1000 animal units (AU) (which is the equivalent of 1000 beef cattle, 2500 hogs, 700 dairy cows, etc.) in a confined area for at least 45 days each year which have ALSO have been cited for a water quality discharge under the law.  AFOs of the same size as those requiring permit coverage but without a documented discharge are required, under the state’s regulatory regime, to obtain coverage under the Michigan Department of Agriculture’s voluntary Michigan Agricultural Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP).  You can find info about each of these (the CAFO General Permit and MAEAP) on the web – the DEQ list of general NPDES permits includes a link to this, and the MDA site will give you the MAEAP info.

Anne

Anne Woiwode, Director

Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter

109 East Grand River Avenue,  Lansing, MI  48906

ph: 517-484-2372 fx: 517-484-3108 e: anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

website:  http://michigan.sierraclub.org