Re: E-M:/ Trash Imports to Michigan Skyrocket

Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

I just wanted to make a few quick points:

Congressman Vern Ehlers did do some good work on trash when he was in
the Michigan legislature including the establishment of the perpetual
care trust funds.

That legislation was gutted by Governor John Engler and Republican
majorities in both the House and Senate in 1995.

Democrats having been pushing on this trash issue on the legislative
front since the early 90's.

A bipartisan coalition has this year emerged and has been pushing a
comprehensive package of bills that will make Michigan's landfills safer
and last longer.  They may also have an indirect effect of making
Michigan less less attractive to out-of-state waste.  We cannot ban all
out-of-state trash.  We can (working together) implement reasonable
across the board policies that lead to wiser solid waste decisions.

James Clift
Michigan Environmental Council