E-M:/ UFAT:/Mourning Dove Alert

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:28:06 -0500
Subject: URGENT DOVE ALERT

YOUR HELP IS NEEDED NOW TO SAVE MICHIGAN’S DOVES - YOU CAN STOP THE DOVE BILL

HB 5029, the bill to allow the shooting of Mourning Doves, Michigan’s Bird of Peace [House Res. 244, 1998], is scheduled to move in the Senate Appropriations Committee Thursday, Feb. 5th. If it passes this committee, we expect it to hit the floor of the Senate for vote the next week.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

Call AND Email your State Senator! Call the Senate switchboard at 517-373-2400 and ask to be connected to your Senator (even if you don’t know who he or she is, they will connect you). You may also find your Senator here http://www.senate.state.mi.us/SenatorInfo/find-your-senator.htm

Call AND write Gov. Granholm
PO Box 30013 Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-373-3400 Fax: 517-335-6863
E-mail form: www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-21995-65331--,00.html

Here is who dove shooting proponents are targeting – respectfully call these Senators now, call them again.

·    Sen. Deb Cherry (D-26) 517-373-1636 SenDCherry@senate.michigan.gov (New Target, please call this Senator)
·    Sen. Mike Prusi (D-38) 517-373-7840 SenMPrusi@senate.michigan.gov (New Target, please call this Senator)
·    Sen. Bill Hardiman (R-29) 517-373-1801 SenBHardiman@senate.michigan.gov
·    Sen. Tom George (R-20) 517-373-0793 SenTGeorge@senate.michigan.gov

Note: All of the above Senators are on the Appropriations Committee. Because HB 5029 sits in that committee, their constituency is the entire state.

Other Senators on their target list:

·    Sen. Mike Bishop - (R-12) 517-373-2417 SenMBishop@senate.michigan.gov
·    Sen. Laura Toy - (R-6) 517-373-1707 SenLToy@senate.michigan.gov
·    Sen. Ray Basham - (D-8) 517-373-7800 SenRBasham@senate.michigan.gov
·    Sen. Patty Birkholz - (R-24) 517-373-3447 SenPBirkholz@senate.michigan.gov
·    Sen. Bev Hammerstrom - (R-17) 517-373-3543 SenBHammerstrom@senate.michigan.gov
·    Sen. Nancy Cassis - (R-15) 517-373-1758 SenNCassis@senate.michigan.gov

One of our Sportsmen Against Dove Hunting forwarded us this message that was recently sent to him by a fellow hunter:

I talked with Rep Tabor's office today to and learned some things pertaining to HB 5029. Rep Tabor had to attach an amendment to the bill, to prevent Rep Spade from making the bill a referendum, allowing MI voters to decide. If this was allowed to happen it would have had us starting all over and would have been costly. The tactical maneuver by Sue was to attach money to the bill, thus preventing any referendum to take place. She had $350,000 attached for pamphlets which had info pertaining to the mourning dove. The day saved and it passed through the house.  It will go to Senate committee soon, some back room dealings are going on.

I've been asked to pass along that we need to continue to make those phone calls to appropriation committee members and to your own Senators as well. I was asked to continue to gather signatures for the petition. At the hearing for HB 4225 we made an impressive showing with several thousands signatures, it helped.

An MUCC member forwarded this message from the MUCC:

IT'S NOW OR NEVER (OR NOT FOR A REALLY LONG TIME) TO PASS THE DOVE BILL!

HB 5029 the bill to establish a dove season will be voted on next Thursday, February 5 by the Senate Appropriations Committee. This a very close vote!!! Please contact your Senator and ask for their support for the bill. I can assure that the opponents of the bill will be making calls by the hundreds over the next week trying to sway just a few votes which is all that it will take to defeat this bill.

For more information and updates visit http://www.SaveTheDoves.org

PS: Please help call others to action: Family, friends, co-workers…write Letters to the Editor of your local papers!

Lowell D. Corbin
Co-Chair: Environmental Action Committee
Michigan Audubon Society
Ultra Fast Action Team
ufat@gtlakes.com