E-M:/ DEQ Public Involvement Plan

MDEQ has released its "public involvement plan"  at
http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3306-65244--,00.html

One issue mentioned concerned making the deq web site more
user friendly.    The URL above is an excellent example of how John Engler
"michigan portal" standards have made the DEQ web site one of
the most unfriendly I've used.   No DEQ URL is easy to remember, so
you're constantly drilling down from the top to try to find things....an
enormous time waster.   It was far better when the DEQ website was
"division oriented"

Just finding someone's phone number at the DEQ is a major chore.

As near as I can tell, there was not a single member of the
grass roots environmental justice community on the committee
(i.e. someone from the neighborhoods where there are major problems).
Although Michigan Environmental Counsel and Ecology Center were
represented, most everyone else on the committee were well-connected
environmental insiders.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com