Re: E-M:/ Judge OKs dune waste pipe

Since SOS owns our shoreline, I'm not sure whether to say more power to the ALJs or that this is an excellent opportunity for SOS to educate themselves and work with Michigan environmentalists on a MEPA suit. This is just one of many egregious decisions by these ALJs we have studied. The EPA was even critical of them in its review of Michigan's wetland program. Engler used his imagination to get what he wanted, and I can only hope this administration would do the same. One way or another, Granholm should get the DEQ out from under these ALJs to the extent possible (understanding that most agency decisions are subject to administrative review), whether by recombining the DEQ with the DNR (and saving $$ while we're at it), creating the promised NRC-type citizen commission for the DEQ, or reorganizing the Civil Service Commission. In other words, "Her Majesty" should get a "bustle" in the "hedgerow" and do a little "spring clean for the May Queen".
FALL 2002:
Key elements of the Granholm/Cherry environmental plan include:

* A ban on new sand dune mining in coastal dunes.
* Expansion of Michigan's bottle deposit law to generate additional revenue
for the Natural Resources Trust Fund for purchasing critical dunes and
habitats.
* Creation of a citizen oversight commission for the DEQ to assure public
participation in decisions on sand dune protection and other critical
environmental issues.
* Protection of more than 12,000 acres of critical dunes identified by
scientific experts but never brought under protection by the
Engler-Posthumus Administration.
* Vigorous enforcement of environmental laws and a crack down on polluters.

Bill Collins

Huron Ecologic, LLC
3335 Crooks Road
Rochester Hills, Michigan 48309 USA
phone & fax: 248-852-4682
e-mail: huronecologic@netzero.net

Huron Ecologic provides wetland delineations, wetland permitting, wetland mitigation design & monitoring, tree inventories, botanical & ecological surveys, natural area protection, nature education, and technical training.