From: Huron Ecologic LLC [mailto:huronecologic@netzero.net]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 12:02 PM
To: Enviro-Mich
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Judge OKs dune waste pipe

Since SOS owns our shoreline, I'm not sure whether to say more power to
the ALJs or that this is an excellent opportunity for SOS to educate
themselves and work with Michigan environmentalists on a MEPA suit. This
is just one of many egregious decisions by these ALJs we have studied.
The EPA was even critical of them in its review of Michigan's wetland
program. Engler used his imagination to get what he wanted, and I can
only hope this administration would do the same. One way or another,
Granholm should get the DEQ out from under these ALJs to the extent
possible (understanding that most agency decisions are subject to
administrative review), whether by recombining the DEQ with the DNR (and
saving $$ while we're at it), creating the promised NRC-type citizen
commission for the DEQ, or reorganizing the Civil Service Commission. In
other words, "Her Majesty" should get a "bustle" in the "hedgerow" and
do a little "spring clean for the May Queen".
		FALL 2002:
		Key elements of the Granholm/Cherry environmental plan
include:

		* A ban on new sand dune mining in coastal dunes.
		* Expansion of Michigan's bottle deposit law to generate
additional revenue
		for the Natural Resources Trust Fund for purchasing
critical dunes and
		habitats.
		* Creation of a citizen oversight commission for the DEQ
to assure public
		participation in decisions on sand dune protection and
other critical
		environmental issues.
		* Protection of more than 12,000 acres of critical dunes
identified by
		scientific experts but never brought under protection by
the
		Engler-Posthumus Administration.
		* Vigorous enforcement of environmental laws and a crack
down on polluters.

Bill Collins

Huron Ecologic, LLC
3335 Crooks Road
Rochester Hills, Michigan 48309 USA
phone & fax: 248-852-4682
e-mail: huronecologic@netzero.net <mailto:huronecologic@netzero.net>

Huron Ecologic provides wetland delineations, wetland permitting,
wetland mitigation design & monitoring, tree inventories, botanical &
ecological surveys, natural area protection, nature education, and
technical training.