Re: E-M:/ Judge OKs dune waste pipe

Enviro-Mich message from "Bill Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but at least part of the objection to
the discharge into Lake Michigan is that the discharge is allegedly
laden with various chemicals.

I learned this several weeks ago in communications with the Muskegon
Save Our Shoreline group when they were asking for "sign-ons".

Previously, a substantial number of residential wells were abandoned
because of contamination with the chemicals that Nugent also uses.

I think the waters of Michigan have been abused enough by discharge of
chemical wastes into the public lakes and streams and groundwater.  We
shouldn't be issuing "permits" to create even more contamination.  More
pollution by dilution.

---
> Enviro-Mich message from Kym Spring <grandrapids@cleanwater.org>
---

> Bill and other Enviro-michers,
>
> It seems you are mistaking this Muskegon Save Our Shoreline group
with the
> one on your side of the state focused on extreme property rights to
allow
> wetlands destruction, etc.  This Muskegon SOS group has worked (and
> continues to work) diligently to prevent shoreline destruction by the
> proposed Nugent Sand Company to put a pipeline through a critical
dune and
> build a structure on the beach to direct an 8 million gallon a day
> discharge into Lake MIchigan -- for which they have already received
> NPDES (National Pollution Discharge Elimination System) permit from
the
> DEQ.  Muskegon Save Our Shoreline has garnered support from twenty-
five
> organizations and has convinced four municipalities to officially
oppose
> Nugent Sand's project.  They have delivered over 1300 letters and
> signatures to Governor Granholm's office opposing the project.  They
> definitely need and deserve our support.   -Kym Spring
>
> Kym Spring, Community Organizer
> Clean Water Action and Clean Water Fund
> Ph- 616-742-4084
> E-mail:  grandrapids@cleanwater.org
> 959 Wealthy St SE, #2
> Grand Rapids, MI  49506
> www.cleanwateraction.org
> www.cleanwaterfund.org
>
> This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use
of
> the person(s) to whom it is addressed, and may contain information
that is
> privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.
> If you receive this communication in error, please notify me
immediately by
> email, telephone or fax and delete the original message from your
records.
> Thank you.
>

> At 12:01 PM 2/27/2004 -0500, Huron Ecologic LLC wrote:
> >Since SOS owns our shoreline, I'm not sure whether to say more power
> >the ALJs or that this is an excellent opportunity for SOS to educate
> >themselves and work with Michigan environmentalists on a MEPA suit.
This
> >is just one of many egregious decisions by these ALJs we have
studied. The
> >EPA was even critical of them in its review of Michigan's wetland
program.
> >Engler used his imagination to get what he wanted, and I can only
hope
> >this administration would do the same. One way or another, Granholm
should
> >get the DEQ out from under these ALJs to the extent possible
> >(understanding that most agency decisions are subject to
administrative
> >review), whether by recombining the DEQ with the DNR (and saving $$
while
> >we're at it), creating the promised NRC-type citizen commission for
the
> >DEQ, or reorganizing the Civil Service Commission. In other
words, "Her
> >Majesty" should get a "bustle" in the "hedgerow" and do a
little "spring
> >clean for the May Queen".
> >FALL 2002:
> >
> >Key elements of the Granholm/Cherry environmental plan include:
> >
> >* A ban on new sand dune mining in coastal dunes.
> >* Expansion of Michigan's bottle deposit law to generate additional
revenue
> >for the Natural Resources Trust Fund for purchasing critical dunes
and
> >habitats.
> >* Creation of a citizen oversight commission for the DEQ to assure
public
> >participation in decisions on sand dune protection and other critical
> >environmental issues.
> >* Protection of more than 12,000 acres of critical dunes identified
by
> >scientific experts but never brought under protection by the
> >Engler-Posthumus Administration.
> >* Vigorous enforcement of environmental laws and a crack down on
polluters.

> >Bill Collins
> >
> >Huron Ecologic, LLC
> >3335 Crooks Road
> >Rochester Hills, Michigan 48309 USA
> >phone & fax: 248-852-4682
> >e-mail: <mailto:huronecologic@netzero.net>huronecologic@netzero.net
> >
> >Huron Ecologic provides wetland delineations, wetland permitting,
wetland
> >mitigation design & monitoring, tree inventories, botanical &
ecological
> >surveys, natural area protection, nature education, and technical
training.

Michigan
> >>Department of Environmental Quality administrative law judge
Richard A.
> >>Patterson sided with Nugent. He overturned a denial of the permit
by the
> >>DEQ's Grand Rapids district office.
> >>
> >>Darlene DeHudy, vice-president of Save Our Shoreline, a local
citizen's
> >>group opposed to the project, blasted Patterson's decision.
> >>
> >>"The public is nearly unanimously against the Nugent pipeline and
> >>discharge into Lake Michigan," said DeHudy. "Twenty-five
organizations
> >>and three municipalities have declared opposition to the project.
Over
> >>1,250 letters and signatures have been delivered to Gov. Granholm
> >>opposing the project."
> >>
> >>The case then goes before DEQ Director Steven Chester, who will
make the
> >>agency's final decision on Nugent's request.
> >>
> >>"The director can accept it, reject, modify it or send it back for
> >>rehearing," said Dennis Mack, an administrative law judge with the
DEQ.

> >><http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/index.ssf?/base/news-
4/107781391557870.xml>http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/index.ssf?/b
ase/news-4/107781391557870.xml