E-M:/ Re: / Judge OKs dune waste pipe

Title: Re: / Judge OKs dune waste pipe
I'm sorry -- I should've sent out a general notice to Enviro-Mich with that information long ago.

The Muskegon Save Our Shoreline group has been in existence since 1974 and was originally formed to oppose a steel mill on the shores of Muskegon Lake, in which effort they were successful. (By the way, Muskegon Save Our Shoreline is the official legal name of the group, not simply Save Our Shoreline.) We were very distressed when the other Save Our Shoreline group started using a similar name, since it was apparent our goals were not at all similar. At that time I resolved to at least get that message out to Enviro-Mich, but lately have been waiting to make a general posting on the Nugent Sand situation. Now that the ALJ's decision is out, I should've done so right away, but Hamiltreef beat me to it!

Our purview is the "shoreline" in the Muskegon area, which has commonly been interpreted to mean just that of Muskegon Lake, but because this Nugent Sand issue is extremely pressing we have expanded that to mean any shoreline in Muskegon County. Lake Michigan Federation, who would obviously cover this, has worked with us on this to the best of their ability with limited staff.

I very much appreciate Bill Collins' comments (as well as Chris Grubb's) because we would like any and all input on what to do next. Individual Muskegon SOS members have contacted some E-Mers one-on-one, but there may be many of you out there who could offer advice. I'm hoping Steve Chester will find it in his heart to side with his own team, especially since I've read the "Proposal for Decision" and it's full of legal holes. If not, we need to weigh all our options. A lawsuit has always been a strong contender, so I thank Mr. Collins for the MEPA reference.

Please feel free to reply to me off-list if you don't think the subject is of general interest.

Cynthia Price, Secretary-Treasurer, Muskegon Save Our Shoreline