E-M:/ Re: / Judge OKs dune waste pipe

Title: Re: / Judge OKs dune waste pipe
Pursuant to the last e-mail I sent thinking I'd opened up the latest one in
the discussion (and this time I checked!), there are concerns about the content of the water the pipes will be spewing, but it's very complex, involving aerobic and anaerobic conditions. The substance of concern, Pamak, is a fatty acid, which DEQ doesn't have any automatic authority to turn down. Investigation has shown that, particularly for aquatic life, it may be quite hazardous. However, the well contaminations were for iron and manganese, elements in Nugent's process which when in the anaerobic conditions of groundwater separated from the Pamak and were left behind in the well water. They claim this won't happen in aerated conditions. In general, way more questions than answers.
The reason we've focused to a certain degree on the dune issue is that there is plenty of legal basis for stopping it there. Nugent's case hinges on the definitions of "structure" versus "use," and amounts to a pile of rubbish. There is no way that a pipeline through a dune is anything but a structure, and I've had at least 2 lawyers agree with this. By focusing on the riprap system that will be put on the shore to diminish the force with which all this water will come out, somehow they've been able to bring it over into the guidelines for a "use," though even that they had to stretch absolutely into the determination that the required alternatives were "imprudent."
What makes all this even worse -- and may have been mentioned in the original article -- is that the whole reason for doing this is that they want to build a residential development on the area when they're done sand mining. Somehow they made a hydrologic miscalculation so that one of their manmade reservoirs is too high for their originally planned number of houses. So they need to drain it off in order to avoid having to redo their plans and lose a number of buildable lots. Honestly, the whole thing would be amusing if it weren't so dreadful.

Cynthia Price