E-M:/ RE: / Re: / Judge OKs dune waste pipe

Enviro-Mich message from "Tanya Cabala" <tcabala@lakemichigan.org>

Any yet one more clarification on this issue --

Cynthia is correct to note the involvement of the Lake Michigan Federation, and yes, it could be characterized as limited at this point, in that we have not been able to put a staff on the issue full-time.

This is an unfortunate characterization, however, because the Federation has been actively and continuously involved in the Nugent sand mining issue since at least 1999, when we called for a public hearing on the site's mining permit renewal.  When a hearing wasn't held, we held our own public meeting and forwarded citizen concerns to MDEQ and then Governor Engler. That, along with active citizen protests, prompted the state to require Nugent to determine the source of groundwater contamination and begin to take steps to resolve it.  Since that time, Jamie Morton on our staff has continuously "dogged" this issue, contacting state officials, and staying in touch with local residents.  Too, the Federation provide oficial comments on the NPDES permit to discharge to the lake and the groundwater discharge permit.  We were not able to comment on the dune pipe construction permit, as it was not public noticed, even though we were in regular contact with MDEQ.

This is consistent with one of the important roles we envision for the Federation -- working with local citizens on environmental protection.

Tanya Cabala, Michigan Director
Lake Michigan Director