RE: E-M:/ Legislation to protect Great Lakes

Enviro-Mich message from "Bill Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

I hope the authors of this legislation aren't expecting those of us
with water problems to cheer about what they have proposed.
I haven't heard that any of us were consulted as to whether this
legislation would help one bit.
I will withhold judgement till I see more, but what I've seen is not
encouraging at all.

---
> Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>
---

> Will this legislation require that MDEQ check the database of
> Deed-Restricted Lands in Michigan, where toxic groundwater
contamination
> that wasn't required to be cleaned up is still in there, where future
> use of that land is restricted???  (As the name of the database would
> imply.).....
>
> My friend in the MDEQ stated at the Source Water Assessment
conference a
> few months ago that if the sites in this database were ever mapped,
that
> Michigan would look like swiss cheese due to the number of sites with
> toxic groundwater contamination.
>
> As I recall from my contaminant hydrogeology coursework, groundwater
> doesn't just sit.  It flows.
>
> ~~Rita

Sagady &

<ajs@sagady.com>
--
> -
>
> Does this legislation have any standards and prohibitions
> that would preclude issuance of a permit?
>
> ....such as....
>
> 1.  No permit if the resulting cone of depression causes adjacent
> well owners to lose access to water
>
> 2.   No permit if the resulting groundwater effects cause impairment
> of existing lakes, rivers and streams
>
> 3.  No permit if groundwater drawdowns cause mobilization of
> pre-existing contaminated groundwater to increase migration to
> uncontaminated sites?
>

> At 10:34 AM 03/03/2004, you wrote:

Legacy

> >Act.  The Governor called for the introduction of such legislation
in a

> >special message to the Legislature in January.
> >

> >Under the legislation, all new or increased withdrawals from surface
> water
> >or groundwater greater than 2 million gallons per day or greater than
> 100
> >million gallons a year would be required to get a permit.  The
permit
> >would be valid for a period of 20 years.  On January 1, 2010, all
water

> >withdrawals greater than 100,000 gallons a day would be required to
get
> >permit.
> >

> >Also under the legislation, permits would take no longer than six
> months
> >to issue, unless both the state and the permit applicant agree to an
> >extension.  The permit would be transferable to a new owner/operator
of

> >the water withdrawal.  After January 1, 2009, all owners/operators
not
> >subject to permitting will be required to submit a five-year water
> >management and conservation plan.
> >

> >"This legislation gets to the heart of the problem that Michigan has
> long
> >faced - the fact that our state lacks a comprehensive water use and
> >protection statute," Granholm said.  "The Great Lakes represent 20
> percent
> >of the world's fresh water supply.  We can ill afford to have a
laissez

> >faire policy regarding our water."
> >
> >"I'm proud to be part of this important partnership to protect Great
> Lakes
> >waters.  Michigan is a major custodian of four of the five Great
Lakes,

> >and we must guard this fresh water resource for future generations,"
> >Brater said.  "Subjecting significant water withdrawals to review
will
> go
> >a long way to achieving this goal."
> >
> >"Michigan's families, businesses, and economy depend on the health
and
> >viability of our Great Lakes," Kolb said.  "And we must secure their
> >health and vitality through a sound and prudent water use strategy."
> >

> >Granholm said the continued lack of protection and management of the
> Great
> >Lakes leaves them vulnerable to increased regulation by the federal
> government.
> >

> >"If Washington is regulating our water, political games will be
played
> and
> >diversion to other regions of the country will be inevitable,"
Granholm