E-M:/ water legacy act: legislators' release

Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Dempsey" <davemec@voyager.net>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:   Sen. Liz Brater
March 3, 2004
517/373-2406

Rep. Chris Kolb
517/373-2577

DEMOCRATIC LAWMAKERS INTRODUCE
MICHIGAN WATER LEGACY ACT

Act supports Governor’s plan to regulate water withdrawal
and protect water resources

LANSING – Two leading environmental Democratic lawmakers today unveiled
a legislative initiative that would protect Michigan’s fresh water
aquifers and lakes by regulating water withdrawal.  During a press
conference in the Governor’s Capitol office, State Senator Liz Brater
(D-Ann Arbor) and State Representative Chris Kolb (D-Ann Arbor) joined
Governor Jennifer M. Granholm and DEQ Director, Steve Chester, in
announcing the Michigan Water Legacy Act, a comprehensive plan to
manage Michigan’s water resources and protect the Great Lakes’ precious
fresh water.

	“The risk to Michigan’s fresh water supply is greater today
than perhaps at any other time in our state’s history,” Kolb
said.  “This is why it is imperative that we have a sound and prudent
strategy to manage our precious water resources and proactively address
the inevitable conflicts and disputes that will emerge.”

Under the proposed plan, new facilities that make withdrawals from
surface water or groundwater greater than two million gallons a day or
greater than 100 million gallons a year would be required to obtain
permits.  Current water users would not be affected unless they sought
to increase water withdrawals or use additional water sources.  The
plan would have immediate effect, but requirements would be phased in
over the next five years toward full implementation in 2009.  Annual
reporting will be required of all permit holders.

“This priceless resource is becoming a desirable commodity to other
states and even other countries without access to such assets,” Brater
said.  “We need to make every effort to protect and conserve it.”

The Michigan Water Legacy Act would also go far in meeting the goals
set forth in the 1985 Great Lakes Charter, developed by a consortium of
Great Lakes states and provinces, which include conserving and
protecting the levels and flows of the Great Lakes and tributary and
connecting waters.