Re: E-M:/ Water Legacy Act

Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

I just wanted to clarify some of the details on the proposed Water Legacy Act.

1) The bill would phase-in the permitting of major water users, starting at 2
million gallons a day (or 100 million gallons per year).  This is approximately
equivalent to a medium-sized farming operation. This level would capture a
facility the size of the Nestle/Perrier water bottling facility in Mecosta County
in the future.

2) The bill would also require permitting of any facility causing or is likely to
cause an "adverse impact" on the quality or quantity of waters of the state or
water-dependant natural resources -- with the ability for the department to place
conditions on such withdrawals to minimize or eliminate impacts.  For example, if
the factual findings of Judge Root are upheld in the Nestle/Perrier they would
need to obtain a permit under this proposed legislation.

3) After five years, all withdrawals over 100,000 gallons a day would require a
permit.

4) After five years, all major water users will also be required to prepare and
implement reasonable water conservation measures.

A pdf version is now available on the MDEQ website at:

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-wd-gwcac-waterlegacyact.pdf

James Clift, Policy Director
Michigan Environmental Council