[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ DEQ: Discharge oversight years behind
- Subject: E-M:/ DEQ: Discharge oversight years behind
- From: HAMILTREEF@aol.com
- Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:49:48 EST
- Delivered-To: email@example.com
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- List-Name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-To: HAMILTREEF@aol.com
DEQ: Discharge oversight years behind
Help for DEQ is held up in committee
TRAVERSE CITY - Cliff Grostick oversees the Village of Honor's sewer system and says he religiously ships quarterly discharge reports to state regulators.
But those reports and hundreds like them are never reviewed by state Department of Environmental Quality regulators because the agency lost more than two-thirds of its employees since 1990.
Meanwhile, in Lansing, DEQ funding legislation gathers dust as the Legislature quibbles with Gov. Jennifer Granholm over control of the DEQ.