Re: E-M:/ Sewer-Generated Sprawl and Request for Treatment System Information

Enviro-Mich message from fred cowles <fecowles@yahoo.com>

Bill,

I can give you answers to some of your questions.

You can download an excel spreadsheet of all surface
water discharge permits at:
http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3313_3682_3713-10780--,00.html
.

If you sort the list by permit number, all the permits
starting with MIG58XXXX are semi-annual discharge
lagoon type sewage treatment facilities. Looking at
the fac_ownership column tells you if it is public or
private.  There are other lagoon type systems that are
more complicated with other permit numbers.

Those facilities with WWTP in their name are other
sewage treatment facilities.  You cannot tell from the
spreadsheet what kind of treatment units they use.

The DEQ has a list of facilities permitted to
discharge to the groundwater, but I do not believe it
is available on-line.

A word of caution.  While this information may look
straight forward, it is only a summary of basic data.
The factual situations of each facility are unique.
It is very difficult to draw valid generalizations
from casual review.  The real world is very
complicated even if a spreadsheet makes it look
simple.

I suggest that you hire a consulting engineer with
experience in designing public wastewater treatment
systems to help you with your review.  It will not be
cheap.  Presumably, your county public works officials
have already gotten such advice.  If you wish to
challenge their decisions, you will need at least as
credible a source of information and judgement.