Re: E-M:/ Sewer-Generated Sprawl and Request for Treatment System Information

Enviro-Mich message from Cyndi Roper <croper@cleanwater.org>

The battle Bill Taylor and his Duck Lake neighbors are fighting to prevent
the miles-long extension of the sprawl-promoting sewer line in their area
is laudable. Others fighting similar sprawl battles in their communities
should take note. The Duck Lake neighbors have done the work that MDEQ and
local agencies should be doing. Funding shortfalls within these agencies
account for part of the reason they have not been at the forefront of
advancing sensible solutions to this and similar sprawl problems. But the
major reason for their shortcomings relates to pressures by developers,
uninformed planning officials, and others who continue promoting status quo
approaches to extending sewer lines into every corner of the state.

Clean Water Action has spent several years learning the ins and outs of
access to MDEQ's information about legal discharges into the state's
waters. During the current water permit fee battle (which, when/if it is
resolved, would still force taxpayers to pay MILLIONS of dollars to fund
the program permitting legal pollution of the state's waters!!), we have
pushed for on-line access to the detailed water permits issued to legal
dischargers.

There are roughly 1,400 surface water permittees and hundreds more
groundwater permit holders. It is our belief -- and that of the original
surface water permit fee bill's sponsors -- that this information should be
readily available to people like Bill from the comfort and convenience of
their home computers. It is VERY difficult for the average person to find
out about LEGAL discharges into local waterways. Many of them wouldn't even
know to ask because they don't realize it's legal to pollute the state's
waters. Once they figure this out, it is not easy for them to get their
hands on the permits.

On-line access could allow residents to click on their local waterways and
find the permittees along with the actual permit. It is likely they would
still need to find technical assistance -- perhaps with state funding since
taxpayers are paying for the dischargers to pollute the water (e.g., why
should we have to pay for consultants??). The average person would have
difficulty understanding the hocus-pocus used to decide "safe" levels of
toxic substances such as arsenic, benzene, cyanide, lead, mercury and many,
many more, which are legally discharged into the state's waters.  If the
details of legal toxic discharges were readily available to Michigan
residents, maybe elected officials, businesses, municipalities and others
would be forced to embrace a shift from POLLUTION subsidies to PREVENTION
subsidies!

Bill Taylor's inquiry and Fred Cowles' response make me think we should
also provide on-line information about the wastewater treatment technology
used at municipal and industrial facilities discharging directly into the
states waters as well as the industrial discharges sending their wastes to
the municipal treatment plants). Access to this information would allow the
public to help direct decisions effecting local waterways.
Afterall, we're paying for the impacts both in the short-term and the
longer term.

Keep up the great work, Bill.

Cyndi

Cyndi Roper