E-M:/ Protect our Last Wild Forests! Call-In

Please Tell the Bush Administration to Protect our Last Wild Forests!

In addition to countless other attacks on our national forests, the Bush administration has eliminated protections for Alaska's Tongass Rainforest by exempting it from the roadless rule that was enacted in 2001 to protect 58.5 million acres of our last wild forests from most logging and road-building.  Next, the administration is poised to allow governors in the Lower 48 to decide whether or not they want roadless areas in their states protected.  Not only would this give governors unprecedented power over federal lands owned by all Americans, it could lead to the destruction of pristine forests across the country.

This Thursday, April 1st, please call Karl Rove, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor to the President, and ask him to protect our last wild forests by keeping the roadless rule intact in the Lower 48 and reinstating the rule in the Tongass.  And please forward this alert to others!

Target:
Karl Rove, Assistant to the President and Senior Advisor to the President
1-800-317-7871 (for April 1st only) or (202) 456-2369

Sample Phone Rap:
Hi, can you please connect me to Karl Rove's office?

Hi, my name is _________, and I'm calling from YOUR CITY AND STATE.  I'm calling to urge Mr. Rove to protect our national forests by keeping the roadless rule intact in the Lower 48 and reinstating the rule in Alaska's Tongass Rainforest.

Additional Targets (in case you can't get through to Rove's office or want to make more calls):
1) James Connaughton, Chairman, White House Council on Environmental Quality
(202) 456-6224
2) Ann Veneman, Secretary of Agriculture
(202) 720-3631
3) Mark Rey, Under Secretary of Agriculture for Natural Resources & Environment
(202) 720-7173
4) Dale Bosworth, Chief of the Forest Service
(202) 205-1661

For more information on the roadless rule: www.ourforests.org

Lois Norrgard
American Lands / Upper Midwest