E-M:/ Monday, April 5, Sustainability Speaker Series

Enviro-Mich message from "Link, Terry" <link@mail.lib.msu.edu>

Dr. John Biernbaum
"Lessons From the Student Organic Farm"

Monday, April 5, 4:00p.m. 305 Bessey Hall

The ongoing development and operation of the SOF has allowed all of us at the farm to challenge our perceptions and live into and practice concepts of sustainability.  There are daily challenges, reminders and opportunities for discussion around a wide variety of topics.  Opportunities abound for including new thoughts and perspectives not only about food and farming but about land management, energy management, building practices, investment and spending strategies and methods to sustain the quality of life.  While we currently must manage getting all the work done with the available student workers and volunteers, we soon may need to learn how to include the large number of concerned students we think are out there waiting for a chance.

John Biernbaum, Horticulture Professor, Bailey Scholar, and organic farming enthusiast teaches several courses and has worked with students over the past five years to start the MSU Student Organic Community Supported Agriculture Farm.  He also has been researching methods of winter production, harvesting, and cold storage for cool season vegetables. The combination of organic farming and winter production in hoop-houses has lead to the development of one of the first year-round farm programs in Michigan.

Free and open to the public... Please share widely

Terry Link, Director
Office of Campus Sustainability
Michigan State University
15 Olds Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
1-517-355-1751
1-517-432-9555(fax)
link@msu.edu
www.ecofoot.msu.edu

Peace is not the end, PEACE IS THE WAY.  A.J. Muste