E-M:/ MSU enviro-journalists produce story on state cleanup problems

Taught by former Booth Newspapers capitol environmental reporter Dave
Poulson, MSU's investigative environmental journalism class last
semester decided to inventory Michigan's contaminated sites. They
looked at reasons why they remain contaminated, examined changes in
funding and liability structure, assessed their threat and checked out
the newly appreciated threats represented by contaminated sediments.

They produced stories that looked at state listed sites, superfund
sites, LUST sites and contaminated sediments. And then they went a step
further, localizing those four stories by digging out anecdotes and
local numbers for about a dozen media markets across the state.

You can see the result at

http://environmental.jrn.msu.edu/muckraking.html

The Lansing City Pulse picked up some of them and Poulson has hopes of
getting others published elsewhere. Some versions of the stories went
out over MSU's Capital News Service which serves about 25 newspapers.

Poulson says that if you have some suggestions for next fall's class,
he would appreciate your story ideas. You can reach him by e-mail at
poulson@msu.edu or at the phone number below:

Dave Poulson
Knight Center for Environmental Journalism
Michigan State University
(517) 432 5417

 Good idea. Could you? I have to admit that I dropped my subscription while
doing some e-mail triage.
 If you do, you could include my e-mail address and mention that I'm looking
for ideas for next year.
Dave