E-M:/ The Radioactive Boy Scout

This weekend you might enjoy reading this
riveting article from Harper's magazine that appeared a couple of
year's ago about Michigan's "Radioactive Boy Scout" in
Macomb County....a teenager's exploration into
radioactive materials and radiological science.....and who created
some radiological hazards in Macomb County from his home-brew radioactivity
experiments.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1111/n1782_v297/21281407/print.jhtml

As a kid with a chemical and electronics lab in the basement when I was young,
and who made regular visits with my father to Silverstein's
army surplus for stuff to do science, I can identify with this kid.
I still also remember a field trip with my father to visit the Fermi I
breeder reactor before its accident when I was a young kid during
an Engineering Society of Detroit father-child outing.

Although the radioactive boyscout went too far, I think that America
has lost out on our science and technology future because there has not been
enough "hands on" science education in schools and encouragement of
informal and personal opportunities at science education.   This also
contributes to a lack of awareness and appreciation of environment, resources
and the need for their protection.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com