E-M:/ missing fundamental considerations - FW: "Healthier Michigan"

Title: Healthier Michigan

I welcome this news (see below) from Governor Granholm and Dr. Kimberlydawn Wisdom, Michigan Surgeon General.  But I feel the announcement is lacking several fundamental considerations, and pathways -  that would indeed lead to long term truly healthier communities.  Can we eradicate asthma in Michigan in our lifetime?   Can we eradicate mercury and lead poisoning in our lifetime?

How about healthy environmental policies?  Healthy environmental policies would go a long way toward healthier kids and adults, leading to fewer sick days and increased productivity for employers, and leading to cuts in both current and future costs of health care.  How about cleaner emissions from power plants and cars?  More active lifestyles will not protect children and adults from particulates and ground-level ozone that causes chronic asthma, and more exercise and better food choices will not protect children and adults from mercury released from coal-fired power plants that aren’t required to use best available technology to cut the pollution they produce.

How about an environmental policy that goes after polluters who release dioxins and other cancer-causing chemicals into our air and water, instead of a policy that subsidizes them by not making them pay their true costs of doing business in our community?

That, to me, would signify a vision of a truly healthier Michigan.

~~Rita Jack

Michigan Water Sentinel

Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter