E-M:/ Sand Dune Defenders Announced

Enviro-Mich message from "Tanya Cabala" <tcabala@lakemichigan.org>

CONTACT:
Tanya Cabala
Lake Michigan Federation
(616) 850-0745
tcabala@lakemichigan.org <mailto:tcabala@lakemichigan.org>

Sand Dune Defenders Hall of Fame Inductees for 2004 Announced

Grand Haven -The first inductees in the new Sand Dune Defenders Hall of Fame were announced at P.J. Hoffmaster State Park on Wednesday, May 19, during the second annual Sand Dune Day.
 "The inductees embody focus, persistence, the ability to withstand challenges, and selflessness," said Tanya Cabala, associate director of the Lake Michigan Federation.  "Their contributions are tremendous and we are eternally grateful they worked so hard so that we can enjoy the natural beauty and wonder of the dunes."

The inductees are:

	*	The late Dorothy Buell, who at age 65 began the job of mobilizing citizens to push for the creation of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, which encompasses nearly 25 miles of dune lakeshore and 15,000 acres.

	*	Former State Rep. Dennis O. Cawthorne of Manistee, who had the vision and persistence to author Michigan's landmark Sand Dune Protection and Management Act of 1976 -- the first time the state put forth a legal framework for protection of dune resources.

	*	The late E. Genevieve Gillette, for her extraordinary dedication and critical role in establishing Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore despite strong opposition. The national lakeshore stretches 35 miles and encompasses nearly 60,000 acres, including South and North Manitou Island.

Julie Stoneman, executive director of the Land Conservancy of West Michigan and a member of the Hall of Fame selection committee, said "The decision was difficult as there are many local groups and efforts that deserve recognition, in addition to individuals who have made significant contributions of time and energy.  This inaugural year we decided to pick those individuals whose efforts have achieved protection of dunes on the largest and most permanent scale."

Tom Anderson of the Indiana Save the Dunes Council, which was founded by Buell in 1952, accepted the award on her behalf, saying,  "Many people and groups had worked since the early 1900s to protect Indiana's dunes, but it was the effective organizing by Dorothy Buell and her single-minded focus that eventually made it happen."

Chris Graham, of the Michigan Natural Areas Council -- which was founded by Genevieve Gillette -- cared for her in her later years.  He said, "We would not have such a breathtakingly spectacular park for 35 shoreline miles around Sleeping Bear today if she had not given such an astonishing amount of time and strength through the long process -- exerted over great personal criticism --which lasted nearly a decade."

Upon accepting his award, Cawthorne recalled the intensity of the battle to pass the sand dune law.  "Before my proposal there had been no statewide discussion of protecting Michigan's dunes," he said.  "I am glad to have contributed to the establishment of a legal framework for dunes protection."

The awards for the Sand Dune Defenders Hall of Fame will be housed in the Tri-Cities Historical Museum on the City of Grand Haven's lakefront.

Tanya Cabala
Lake Michigan Federation
700 Washington Avenue, Suite 150
Grand Haven, MI  49417