E-M:/ Wal-Mart Pulls Out of Charlevoix

Enviro-Mich message from Keith Schneider <keith@mlui.org>

Dear Friend,
We've learned of another big victory for the public interest and the
principle that citizens working together can make good things happen for
the land, communities, and the environment.

This afternoon Wal-Mart announced that it is pulling out of Charlevoix and
will not build a supercenter there. The news came from Bob Hoffman,
co-founder of This Is Our Town,  who is elated. I conveyed our thanks on
behalf of Northwest Michigan and the state for the good work that This Is
Our Town did to educate their neighborhoods and set the message agenda that
made their victory over the world's largest company seem inevitable.

The Wal-Mart victory is the second this year in which citizens dug up the
facts, communicated them well, set the message agenda, and then organized
their neighbors to block an idea that battered their sense of what was
right for their communities. The other was the coal plant in Manistee,
which local officials turned down earlier this year after an equally
effective grassroots campaign.

Convincing Wal-Mart that Charlevoix was not an appropriate place for a
superstore is a very important statement for citizen advocacy, sound land
use policy, and the powerful civic will in Northwest Michigan to develop
the cleaner, greener economy and quality of life that many of us envision.

Best, Keith Schneider, deputy director, Michigan Land Use Institute

For background on this issue see: Wal-Mart's Low Prices Are No Bargain,
Citizens Say
					http://www.mlui.org/growthmanagement/fullarticle.asp?fileid=16689