E-M:/ Michigan's two first individual NPDES CAFO Permits on the web

Enviro-Michers:

The first two individual NPDES permits for proposed new large concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) are now out for public comment and hearings are scheduled for hearings on June 7th and 8th (see hearing locations below).  The DEQ's website for NPDES Permits on Public Notice includes some information at:

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3313_3682_3713-10463--,00.html  but is missing a lot of the critical details of the permit applications.

Alex Sagady has kindly posted the pdfs for the missing pieces of these two applications on his website at  http://www.sagady.com/cafonpdes/

I want to STRONGLY urge anyone who works with water quality issues, in particular NPDES permits of any sorts, as well as those concerned with CAFOS and the health and well-being of rural communities in Michigan, to take a LONG, careful look at these permits.  While we are still in the initial stages of our review, we already have many questions and concerns that will be raised in our comments.

Again, for those who have not yet seen these, below are the hearing locations and times for the two CAFO permits discussed above.  The comment period for each permit closes the day of the hearing as well.

JUNE 7th, Hartford, MI: The Hartford Farms is located in Van Buren County near the town of Hartford, and the hearing on that application will be held on June 7, 2004 at 7:30 p.m. at the Hartford Township Hall, 61310 CR 687, Hartford, Michigan 49057.

JUNE 8th, Elkton, MI:  The Z-Star LLC facility is located in Huron County, and that hearing will be held at 7:30 p.m. on June 8, 2004 at the Elkton Area Youth Center, 16 N. Main St., Elkton, MI 48731.

Anne Woiwode, Director

Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter

109 East Grand River Avenue,  Lansing, MI  48906

ph: 517-484-2372 fx: 517-484-3108 e: anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

website:  http://michigan.sierraclub.org