RE: E-M:/ Antibiotics

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne M. Woiwode" <anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org>

Marie and others:

As Bill Tobler noted this is in fact true and not new, unfortunately.
The use of "subtherapeutic" levels of antibiotics for accelerating the
growth rate of chickens and pigs has been one of the major concerns
about concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) from the start.
Sierra Club did a similar testing regime for meat bought off the
supermarket shelf in Minneapolis a couple of years ago, and found
similar distressing numbers. Go to:
http://www.sierraclub.org/factoryfarms/antibiotics/ to find more about
that study.

The super bacteria that are being developed are an alarming side effect
of the drive to expand this technology by groups in Michigan and
elsewhere, including our Michigan Department of Agriculture, Michigan
State University Extension and the Michigan Farm Bureau.  With the
massive amounts of pollution caused by CAFOs in Michigan already, one of
the concerns is that the waste stream will include super bacteria -- as
more resistant bacteria show up, exposure to these bacteria in waterways
becomes an increasing concern because once contracted, it becomes more
and more difficult to treat infections from these bacteria, and what
used to be considered minor infections become deadly.  As someone who
probably would not have survived to adulthood except for the existence
and effectiveness of antibiotics, I am just astonished how cavalier the
industry has been about this threat. In European countries,
subtherapeutic levels of antibiotics are being banned from use in animal
raising because of exactly this concern.

For more information about the deadly threats posed by the overuse of
antibiotics, some excellent sources of information include a coalition
called Keep Antibiotics Working:
http://www.keepantibioticsworking.com/pages/home.cfm
And the Union of Concerned Scientists at:
http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environment/antibiotic_resistance/index.c
fm

This is an issue that YOU, the consumer, have tremendous control over.
If you eat meat, demand that your grocery store provide meats grown
WITHOUT antibiotics. Organic meats, by definition, are antibiotic free
-- in fact, if antibiotics have been used to treat a sick animal in an
organic operation, that animal is not to be sold as organic meat.  It is
possible for large livestock operations NOT to use subtherapeutic levels
of antibiotics, but to do so means the operations must treat their
animals better by allowing more space per animal and keeping the
facilities clean, not expect to have a full grown chickens in six weeks,
and otherwise operate a facility in a clean way.  As consumers, we can
set the standard that the industry needs to meet.

Anne

Anne Woiwode, Director
Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
109 East Grand River Avenue,  Lansing, MI  48906
ph: 517-484-2372 fx: 517-484-3108 e: anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
website:  http://michigan.sierraclub.org