E-M:/ Friends of the chemical industry threaten public health

Title: Friends of the chemical industry threaten public healt
Recently, Senator Stamas and Representative Moolenaar announced plans to introduce legislation to weaken the state's residential dioxin cleanup standard to 1,000 ppt.  They are basing that number on outdated science that doesn't reflect our current understanding of dioxin's toxicity.   This is an outrageous attempt to relieve Dow of liability for their dioxin contamination in mid-Michigan, and it threatens the health of all Michigan residents and the health of the Great Lakes in the bargain.

And today, the friends of the chemical industry are attempting to behead the DEQ by slashing the DEQ's budget.  This latest gambit is a threat to all of our efforts to protect public health and the great resources of our state.  This latest effort is in retaliation for the DEQ DOING THEIR JOB AND FOLLOWING THE LAW OF THE STATE.  If chemical corporations can cut the DEQ budget simply because they are abiding by the environmental laws in the state, all of our environmental programs are at risk.  WE URGE ALL MICHIGAN CITIZENS TO TAKE ACTION  - CALL YOUR  STATE REPRESENTATIVE AND TELL THEM TO SUPPORT THE DEQ IN FOLLOWING THE LAW OF THE STATE!!!!!
Tell them that political maneuvering on behalf of a single large company is not acceptable.  The priority in our state must be science-based public health protections.

Not surprisingly, these legislators are big recipients of campaign contributions from the chemical industry.  A contaminated Great Lakes basin and weak environmental laws are not the way to revive Michigan's economy or attract new businesses.  Just the opposite in fact.

Tony Stamas - Republican State Senator
Accepted $29,727 political campaign funds 1998-2002 from Chemical Industry

John Moolenaar - Republican Michigan State House Representative, District 98
Accepted $4,732 political campaign funds 2002 from Chemical Industry
Former Dow Chemist

Dow donated $215,000 in 2002 to Republican State Election Committee

Chemical industry political contributions in Michigan election campaigns 1996-2002
Republicans:  $ 479,473
Democrats :   $  53,745
Specifically from Dow Chemical and it's employees: $216,469

And supporters of this effort include:

David Camp - Republican US House Representative for Michigan
Owns at least $500,000 Dow Chemical stock, Married to former Dow attorney

*Based on research by the Tittabawassee River Watch