E-M:/ Officials to meet Saturday with Granholm

http://www.ourmidland.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11847893&BRD=2289&PAG=461&dept_id=472542&rfi=6

Officials to meet Saturday with Granholm

Kathie Marchlewski , Midland Daily News

06/03/2004

    It's an environmental issue, an economic one and, as some Midland residents have suspected, dioxin contamination is a political matter.

    Gov. Jennifer Granholm will break from the Detroit Regional Chamber annual conference on Mackinac Island Saturday to meet with state and federal lawmakers who want to be certain that as state leader, she is aware of the dioxin situation that has settled into the Saginaw Valley.

    Congressman Dave Camp, along with state Sens. Mike Goschka and Tony Stamas and state Reps. Jim Howell, John Moolenaar and Sandy Caul, earlier this week requested a Friday morning meeting with the governor in Lansing.

    Camp spoke with Granholm Wednesday and made arrangements to meet over the weekend. The time and location for the meeting has not been decided.

    "I had a good conversation with the Governor and I am pleased she was willing to meet this weekend," Camp said. "This issue impacts our health, our jobs and our homes. There is simply too much at stake for the Governor not to be aware of every last detail of the DEQ's plan and how it will impact those of us living in Midland."

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project Director

Mackinac Chapter Sierra Club

tel:  517-484-2372

rita.jack@sierraclub.org

http://www.sierraclub.org/watersentinels/

"Speak out - even if your voice shakes."