From: Dave Dempsey [mailto:davemec@voyager.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 3:53 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ rare bit of good news out of Lansing

-
Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Dempsey" <davemec@voyager.net>
-

At this morning's retreat of the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund
Board, it was heartening to hear from new DNR Director Rebecca
Humphries that one of her first decisions is to prevent a raid on the
Constitutionally-protected Fund. She told the Board she has nixed a
request pending from DNR before she took over to drain over $400,000
from the Fund, which is used to buy and develop recreational and
environmentally important land, to pay a legal settlement. This action
respects the will of the voters who have consistently supported walling
the Fund off from raids. It also saves more than $400,000 that can be
used to buy and protect land and it's an encouraging sign that the
executive branch of state government, at least, gets it.

enviro-mich"