E-M:/ 3 must-reads at ourmidland.com: MI Supreme Court, Granholm, Dow vs. DEQ articles

Folks – there are 3 must-read articles at www.ourmidland.com having to do with the Dow/Midland/Tittabawassee dioxin fight.  You have to register at the site but it’s easy to do and they don’t ask anything nosy.  I’m signed up for the daily update, it’s been helpful as a local resource on the issues there.

Supreme Court issues further delay of dioxin suit

Kathie Marchlewski , Midland Daily News

06/05/2004

    The case between The Dow Chemical Co. and Tittabawassee River flood plain residents is on hold again -- this time by order of the Michigan Supreme Court.

    Less than a week before the long-awaited hearing scheduled for Wednesday at 9:30 a.m., the high court agreed to hear Dow's appeal of the medical monitoring facet of the suit. It also ordered circuit court proceedings to stop while the matter is under consideration.

    Dow's briefs in support of its appeal are due in late July, the plaintiffs will be expected to reply by late August. The Supreme Court is likely to schedule an oral hearing on the topic within 30 days of reviewing the parties' documents.

(SNIPPED REST – SEE WWW.OURMIDLAND.COM FOR THE REST)

Granholm talks

Kathie Marchlewski , Midland Daily News

06/04/2004

    According to Gov. Jennifer Granholm, Midland is anything but a "cool city." In fact, the dioxin dilemma in the city is downright hot.

    "I am very well aware of the heightened tensions," she told the Daily News Thursday. "My hope is to turn down the temperature on this very hot issue."

    Plans for handling contamination attributed to The Dow Chemical Co.'s historical manufacturing processes has state and federal local lawmakers representing the area calling the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality "out of control" and calling on Granholm to rein in the administration.

    She agrees that everyone needs to "take a deep breath" and "slow down."

(SNIPPED REST – SEE WWW.OURMIDLAND.COM FOR THE REST)

House panel votes to cut DEQ

Kathie Marchlewski , Midland Daily News

06/04/2004

    If you can't do it responsibly, don't do it at all. That's the message the state House Appropriations Committee is sending to one division of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.

    The committee voted Thursday to cut the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality budget in several ways, among them elimination of the Waste and Hazardous Materials Division.

    A 15 percent reduction in MDEQ Director Steve Chester's pay also will be taken to the House floor next week.

    State Rep. John Moolenaar calls the DEQ "out of control" and said the legislature has an "important oversight responsibility with respect to the DEQ."

    "Currently the DEQ is headed in the wrong direction," he said.

    Elimination of the division, would save the state about $6 million and mean administration of permits and regulations relating to hazardous waste would be turned over to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

    "Ultimately what we want is accountability. The DEQ is not being held accountable by anyone," Moolenaar said.

(SNIPPED REST – SEE WWW.OURMIDLAND.COM FOR THE REST)

************************

To me, that last statement by Moolenaar is UNBELIEVABLE – “accountable”?????????????????

Why doesn’t DOW CHEMICAL HAVE TO BE ACCOUNTABLE to current and future generations of Midland and Michigan residents ???????????????

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project Director

Mackinac Chapter Sierra Club

tel:  517-484-2372

rita.jack@sierraclub.org

http://www.sierraclub.org/watersentinels/

"Speak out - even if your voice shakes."