Saginaw News
June 22, 2004
 Dow critics talk with Granholm
Tuesday, June 22, 2004
JEREMIAH STETTLER
THE SAGINAW NEWS
Critics of Dow Chemical Co. over contamination of the Tittabawassee River have taken their troubles to the state's highest administrator.
Urging officials not to relax the state safety standard for dioxin, riverside residents and members of the environmental watchdog group Lone Tree Council met Monday with Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm.
They claim a move by Midland-area lawmakers to raise the acceptable level of dioxin threatens public health.
Marcia Woodman, a Tittabawassee River resident, won't let her children wander the woods outside her home anymore. She fears that dioxin, an industrial pollutant linked to some forms of cancer, could put her children at risk.
She called efforts to lift the dioxin standard a "health crisis," noting that other states have even stricter standards than Michigan's 90 parts per trillion.
In Oregon and Massachusetts, the acceptable levels are near 40 parts per trillion. In Arizona, Washington and Florida the levels are 38, 67 and 70 parts per trillion, respectively.
"Our public agencies are just trying to do their job," Woodman said. "We should try to support them."
clip

"There is little scientific evidence about dioxin right now," said U.S. Rep. Dave Camp, a Midland Republican. "We need more studies. We need more research."