E-M:/ rally to greet Cheney in Saginaw tomorrow

Vice President Cheney will be making a speech in Saginaw this Friday at mid-day, and the Sierra Club is sponsoring a rally to demonstrate our concern about the administration’s pollution policies.

Cheney’s speech is on the economy, and will be held at the Duro-Last Roofing Factory.  We want to demonstrate that Michigan residents deserve both a healthy economy and a healthy environment to live in.  Please remember, we cannot display any materials that refer to the election, nor endorse any candidate.

We plan to meet outside our office at 8 AM, so we can carpool and travel together. The office is in Suite 105 in the Tri-Centre Building on the northeast corner of 14 Mile and Crooks Road in Clawson, but let’s plan to meet in the parking lot on the northwest corner of the same intersection at 8 AM sharp..

The roofing plant is located at 525 Morley Drive in Saginaw, but there will be no way we can get onto the site, and we don’t have an exact location for the rally yet.  We sponsored a rally when President Bush came to Sterling Heights two months ago, and the Secret Service prohibited entry to many of the locations nearby.  Traffic was also not only jammed, but many of the local roads were closed.  So we will need a very early departure, and have to find a location for the rally.

If you’d like to join us, please let us know!  Send us an email so we can let you know details of where to meet.  Or call our office at (248) 435-5277.  On Friday, we can be reached at Bruce’s cell phone number (734) 277-3409, or Melissa’s (718) 710-2006.

For anyone who plans on driving, I’m including a mapquest link below.  Take I-75 north, through Flint to Saginaw, and if you take exit 149 a, you’ll be on highway 46 eastbound (also called Holland), and the Duro-Last Plant is at the end of Morley, about mile further on the left.  The map shows both an East Morley and a West Morley, and I don’t know which the plant is located on.  But the two roads parallel each other, and are pretty close together.  A local person I’ve talked to says there’s only one Morley.

At this point, however, we don’t know of any parking in that vicinity that we can use.  The south side of highway 46 is a GM plant, and there may be no parking anywhere near.  So let’s rendezvous at 10 AM in the abandoned Fort Saginaw Mall lot, which is on the northwest corner of highway 46 (Holland) and Outer Drive, which runs just west of I-75.  Coming north on I-75, take exit 149 b, which should put you westbound on highway 46, and the mall parking lot should be on your right after you’ve crossed I-75.  If we have to park there, it’ll be a mile walk to the Duro-Last property, but we’ll try to find a closer place to park.  Stay in touch for more details.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?location=bE1klc0PrZFYZbjfsz3AoyOuFF7iTd2LClW2Oyzsceo7DzYsCtWmN1IYOlLyP3T2L1CT2bFePwdk7paamAUzbWxdJ0Vi7JrZ9biYN%2byMk2j0ehbRHiESEXVyeheGl%2bZsh4lAryodJ4k%3d&searchtype=address&searchtab=address&countryid=US&address=525%20Morley%20Drive&city=Saginaw&state=mi&zipcode=48601&country=US&addtohistory=

Thanks, Bruce

Bruce Hoeft

Building Environmental Communities

Sierra Club, Suite 105