E-M:/ Beach walking case

Enviro-Mich message from "Pam Burt" <pb@wabpc.com>

As the attorney for the plaintiff in Glass v Goeckel (the beach walking case), I thought I'd update all of you who contacted me with emails of support -- and there were many.

You'll recall that the Mich Court of Appeals, in a 5/13/04 decision, ruled that the public does not have the right to walk between the water's edge and the high water mark on the shores of our Great Lakes (the "foreshore").  Instead, members of the public must walk below the water's edge or run the risk of trespass on the rights of riparian owners who, according to the decision, have exclusive possession of the foreshores of the Great Lakes.

On Thursday, June 24, 2004, we filed a lengthy application for leave to appeal with the Mich Supreme Court on behalf of plaintiff-appellant, Mrs. Glass -- seeking peremptory reversal or vacating of the Court of Appeals decision.

I thank all of you who called or wrote with heartfelt support.  I was amazed at the power of enviro-mich in reaching so many people who care so much about this issue.

Pam Burt
pb@wabpc.com