E-M:/ Rep. Kolb / House Dems Call for Action on Water Legacy

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <Dfarough@house.mi.gov>

Enviromich,

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, June 28, 2004	                        Contact: Dan Farough
 Phone: (517) 373--2093
Cell: (517) 303-5270

Kolb Calls on Legislature to Protect Great Lakes
Urges colleagues to act on Water Legacy bills, sign pledge

	LANSING * State Representative Chris Kolb (D-Ann Arbor) today called on his colleagues to take action on legislation * the Water Legacy Act * to protect our Great Lakes and guard against thirsty states from diverting our water.
	Kolb sent a letter to his colleagues urging them to sign to show their support the Water Legacy Act.  He also called on them to sign Water Legacy pledges delivered to lawmakers from a coalition of environmental groups. The pledge states that they support protecting Michigan's Great Lakes and will begin holding hearings immediately to garner input on the proposed legislation.
	"The risk to Michigan's fresh water supply is greater today than perhaps at any other time in our state's history," said Kolb, who sponsored the legislation in the House.  "This is why it is imperative that we have a sound and prudent strategy to manage our precious water resources.  I urge my colleagues to support the Water Legacy Act and join me in protecting our water."
 	For more than six months leaders in the Michigan Legislature have failed to even hold one hearing on the Water Legacy Act * water management legislation that would promote consistency and public accountability.  The Act would also provide Michigan legal protection against those who misuse are valuable water resources.
"We all know that there are states out there that would love to siphon our water resources for themselves," said House Democratic Leader Dianne Byrum (D-Onondaga).  "We should do everything in our power to make sure that doesn't happen.  Protecting our water must be a priority.  It's time to take action on the Water Legacy Act."

# # #

Dan Farough
Press Secretary
House Democratic Communications