E-M:/ FW: Dingell on EDS Hearing

Katie Murtha

Office of Representative John D. Dingell

Washington, DC - Congressman John D. Dingell (MI-15) will speak out against the purposed EDS hazardous waste wells in a public hearing in Romulus on June 29. The Congressman is one of many upset about the project, which would bring hazardous liquid waste into Romulus for storage in two underground wells.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) claims the waste can be stored underground without threatening Romulus residents or their drinking water. However, Congressman Dingell strongly feels that EPA has failed to give a credible answer as to how public safety will be guaranteed.

 "The people of Michigan need to come to the hearing on Tuesday and send the EPA a very clear message that we don't want to become a national let alone international dumping ground," Dingell said.  "Despite their actions over the past 3 years, EPA is the agency designated with protecting our environment and our citizens need to remind them of their role."

What: EPA Public Hearing on purposed Romulus Hazardous Waste Wells

Where: Crown Plaza Hotel, 8000 Merriman Road in Romulus

When: Tuesday, June 29, 7 to 9pm