[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ Mercury Battery in Kellogg Cerial Toy
- Subject: E-M:/ Mercury Battery in Kellogg Cerial Toy
- From: "Alex J. Sagady & Associates" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 12:25:07 -0400
- Delivered-To: email@example.com
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- List-Name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-To: "Alex J. Sagady & Associates" <email@example.com>
A Maine newspaper is reporting the Michigan-based corp. Kelloggs is using
mercury-containing batteries in a "spidey signal toy"
with their breakfast cereal.
Here is Michigan's law on mercury in batteries offered for sale
or promotion......I don't have enough facts to know if the batteries
be prohibited here in Michigan, but Kelloggs has recalled this
in Connecticut and New Hampshire because of mercury battery bans
A major grocery chain in Maine has pulled the cereal.
Quite frankly, the use of any mercury battery in such promotions
raises significant questions concerning judgement and corporate
NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT
324.17105a Batteries containing intentionally introduced
mercury; sales or offers prohibited.
Act 451 of 1994
(1) Except for alkaline manganese button cell batteries that have a
mercury content of 25 milligrams or less, a person shall
not sell, offer for sale, or offer for promotional purposes an alkaline
manganese battery manufactured on or after January 1, 1996 that contains
intentionally introduced mercury.
(2) A person shall not sell, offer for sale, or offer for promotional
purposes a zinc carbon battery manufactured on or after January 1, 1996
that contains intentionally introduced mercury.
History: Add. 1995, Act 124, Imd. Eff. June 30, 1995
Popular Name: Act 451
Alex J. Sagady & Associates
Environmental Enforcement, Permit/Technical Review, Public Policy,
Evidence Review and Litigation Investigation on Air, Water and
Waste/Community Environmental and Resource Protection
PO Box 39, East Lansing, MI 48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); firstname.lastname@example.org