E-M:/ Message from Robert Redford

Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:06:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Robert Redford <members@nrdcaction.org>
To: ajs@sagady.com
Subject: An important message from Robert Redford

Dear NRDC Member,

I wanted you to know that the Bush administration is using the recent rise in
gasoline prices as a pretext to sacrifice one of America's greatest natural
treasures -- the Western Arctic Reserve of Alaska -- to massive oil
development.

We have a very narrow window in which to block this corporate-sponsored
raid on
our natural heritage. Over the next 30 days, the Bush administration is taking
public comments on its plan to put 96 percent of the reserve's wildlife-filled
northeast region on the auction block.

I am asking you and hundreds of thousands of others to join me in flooding the
Bush administration with messages of protest over the next critical weeks.

Please do your part by going to
http://www.savebiogems.org/westernarctic/takeaction.asp?RR0407
and sending an electronic message telling the Bureau of Land Management to
withdraw its destructive plan and to permanently protect the reserve's world-
class wildlife habitats.

Then please forward my message to as many people as you can.

The Western Arctic Reserve may be less well-known than the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge -- which lies directly to the east -- but its wildlife
populations are every bit as unique, spectacular and endangered.

I am especially concerned about the Western Arctic Reserve's Teshekpuk Lake
region -- one of the most important tundra-wetland ecosystems left on our
planet. This vast network of coastal lagoons, deep water lakes, sedge grass
meadows and braided streams provides the critical calving grounds for the
45,000-member Teshekpuk Lake caribou herd.

Thirty percent of all Pacific black brant also take refuge in these safe and
remote wetlands, remaining flightless while they replace their old feathers.
Steller's eiders, northern pintails, tundra swans and rare yellow-billed loons
are just a few of the other amazing species that flock to Teshekpuk Lake to
nest, free from disturbance. Come fall, some of these birds will migrate as
far
south as Antarctica.

Polar bears roam the coastal areas of Teshekpuk Lake from summer to early
winter. And people are counting on the lake for survival as well. The Inupiat
Eskimos have subsisted here in balance with nature for at least 8,000 years by
following the herds of caribou.

Incredibly, the Western Arctic has never been granted full federal protection.
That's because it was set aside as the "National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska"
nearly a century ago. But Congress also stipulated that this oil field be
tapped only in time of dire national need.

Our government kept oil rigs out of the Western Arctic Reserve even during the
darkest days of World War II and the oil embargo of the 1970s. As a result,
most of the reserve has remained pristine -- its primeval beauty unmarred by
roads, oil rigs or other signs of human interference.

Interior secretaries since the 1970s have recognized the need for special
protection in the Teshekpuk Lake area. But if the Bush administration gets its
way, Teshekpuk Lake will soon be stripped of most of those protections and
sold
to the highest bidder.

And for what? Drilling in the Western Arctic would have no effect on gas
prices
at the pump. Its oil would take years to get to market and would never equal
more than one or two percent of America's oil supply -- a tiny drop in the
bucket of our nation's oil consumption.

Only one group would benefit from destroying the Western Arctic: the oil
giants. Meanwhile, they would turn one of the planet's most fragile homes for
Arctic wildlife into an industrial zone of pipelines, producing wells and
contaminated waste sites.

The Western Arctic Reserve is supposed to be an energy savings account of last
resort. A recent poll shows that the vast majority of Americans would rather
save oil and lower gas prices by adopting tougher fuel economy standards for
our cars and trucks.

Please join me in telling the Bush administration to follow the cleaner and
more self-reliant path of fuel efficiency -- and to put Teshekpuk Lake and
other critical habitats off limits to the oil industry.

Please go to
http://www.savebiogems.org/westernarctic/takeaction.asp?RR0407
and tell the Bush administration to withdraw its destructive plan. And
remember
to forward my message to your friends, colleagues and family.

This fight represents one of our very last chances to preserve untrammeled
wilderness as we first found it. Let's speak with one voice and stop this
senseless attack on one of the world's greatest sanctuaries for Arctic
wildlife. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Robert Redford
Board of Trustees
Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)

. . .

Note: If you have any questions about this message, please write to us at
membership@nrdc.org

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com