Re: E-M:/ Global Warming

Enviro-Mich message from David Wright <wrightd@voyager.net>

As a product development engineer at Ford, I can attest that many
scientists and engineers at Ford personally take global warming seriously
along with the other issues that arise from our addiction to gasoline
that's cheaper than bottled water.   Our employer also professes to be
concerned about these issues, but where the rubber meets the road and
action is required it does not appear that much is happening.

Ford has withdrawn the commitment made in 2000 to improve the fuel economy
of Ford's SUV fleet by 25% by the 2006 model year.  According to Ford's
Corporate Citizenship report
(http://www.ford.com/en/company/about/corporateCitizenship/principlesProgressPerformance/our-actions/suv.htm)
the 2003 model year Ford SUVs were only 5.2% more efficient than the 2000
model year SUVs.  And the fuel economy of the 2003 fleet was worse than the
2002 Ford SUV fleet.  Some of the negatives that Ford lists at this site
include a decrease in Explorer fuel economy in 2002, a decrease in Escape
fuel economy and sales in 2003, a decrease in Land Rover fuel economy in
2003, and not offering an integrated starter generator on the Explorer in
2003.

If you go to the EPA website you will find an analysis of fuel economy
trends for the US market (http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fetrends.htm).  The EPA
report shows that from model year 2000 to 2004 the US truck fleet 0 to 60
times decreased from an average of 11 seconds to 10.1 seconds.  During
these four years the average weight of the US truck fleet increased from
4375 pounds to 4712 pounds -- a 7.7% increase.  In addition the average
truck horsepower increased from 197 hp in 2000 to 235 hp in 2004 -- an
increase of 19%.  SUVs are included in the EPA truck category.

While these numbers are averages for the entire US light-duty truck fleet,
my guess is that if you analyzed the changes in the Ford SUV lineup between
2000 and 2004 you would find similar changes in 0 to 60 times, vehicle
weight, and engine power -- these changes make it very difficult to
significantly improve fuel economy.  If your goal is to make significant
improvements in fuel economy increasing vehicle weight and power would be
the last changes that you would want to make.

And while Ford will rightfully brag about the new hybrid Escape -- a
production volume of 20,000 compared to a light-duty truck market
(light-duty trucks and SUVs) of around 8,000,000 vehicles will not make a
dent in the amount of fuel that will be consumed to operate our vehicles.

We need to find the cause of the disconnect between our words and our
products otherwise the only logically conclusion is we (Ford) don't mean
what we say.

David Wright