Re: E-M:/ Global Warming

David, I think the disconnect is not the fault of the engineers.

The disconnect and the fault of the problem is shared between
the advertising/sales/promotion departments of the large motor
vehicle companies and an equal fault of the consumer/buying
public.

I have heard that car companies employ psychologists to deal
with subconsious behavior of consumers and how they relate
to vehicles on a more limbic(sp?) basis.

Consumers want these truck-like vehicles, but why do they
make those choices?  Do they really need such vehicles?   Should
the public be taught that trucks should have the same passing
power as more traditional vehicles?   Is owning a large, powerful
vehicle a palliative for what otherwise might be the feeling of
powerlessness in economic, social and organizational terms?

I don't have the answers....  my own personal approach is
to buy 9 year old Ford Taurus stationwagons for cheap
and immediately change out the brakes, struts, tires, radiator,
hoses and water pump....run it for 6-8 years, junk it and
start all over again. ....although I still would rather get better
mileage from my Taurus but am also a bit of a leadfoot....so it goes...

At 12:15 AM 07/14/2004, David Wright wrote:

>Enviro-Mich message from David Wright <wrightd@voyager.net>
>
>As a product development engineer at Ford, I can attest that many
>scientists and engineers at Ford personally take global warming seriously
>along with the other issues that arise from our addiction to gasoline
>that's cheaper than bottled water.   Our employer also professes to be
>concerned about these issues, but where the rubber meets the road and
>action is required it does not appear that much is happening.
>
>Ford has withdrawn the commitment made in 2000 to improve the fuel economy
>of Ford's SUV fleet by 25% by the 2006 model year.  According to Ford's
>Corporate Citizenship report
>(http://www.ford.com/en/company/about/corporateCitizenship/principlesProgressPerformance/our-actions/suv.htm)
>the 2003 model year Ford SUVs were only 5.2% more efficient than the 2000
>model year SUVs.  And the fuel economy of the 2003 fleet was worse than
>the 2002 Ford SUV fleet.  Some of the negatives that Ford lists at this
>site include a decrease in Explorer fuel economy in 2002, a decrease in
>Escape fuel economy and sales in 2003, a decrease in Land Rover fuel
>economy in 2003, and not offering an integrated starter generator on the
>Explorer in 2003.
>
>If you go to the EPA website you will find an analysis of fuel economy
>trends for the US market (http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fetrends.htm).  The EPA
>report shows that from model year 2000 to 2004 the US truck fleet 0 to 60
>times decreased from an average of 11 seconds to 10.1 seconds.  During
>these four years the average weight of the US truck fleet increased from
>4375 pounds to 4712 pounds -- a 7.7% increase.  In addition the average
>truck horsepower increased from 197 hp in 2000 to 235 hp in 2004 -- an
>increase of 19%.  SUVs are included in the EPA truck category.
>
>While these numbers are averages for the entire US light-duty truck fleet,
>my guess is that if you analyzed the changes in the Ford SUV lineup
>between 2000 and 2004 you would find similar changes in 0 to 60 times,
>vehicle weight, and engine power -- these changes make it very difficult
>to significantly improve fuel economy.  If your goal is to make
>significant improvements in fuel economy increasing vehicle weight and
>power would be the last changes that you would want to make.
>
>And while Ford will rightfully brag about the new hybrid Escape -- a
>production volume of 20,000 compared to a light-duty truck market
>(light-duty trucks and SUVs) of around 8,000,000 vehicles will not make a
>dent in the amount of fuel that will be consumed to operate our vehicles.
>
>We need to find the cause of the disconnect between our words and our
>products otherwise the only logically conclusion is we (Ford) don't mean
>what we say.
>
>David Wright
>

>At 01:37 PM 7/13/04, Bill Tobler wrote:
>>Enviro-Mich message from "Bill Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

> [...]

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com