E-M:/ Sierra Club Applauds States' Global Warming Law Suit

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne M. Woiwode" <anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org>

FYI -- clearly, Michigan is affected by global warming, so this lawsuit
is of interest -- I don't know whether the state was approached about
going in on the suit or not.  AW

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 21, 2004

CONTACT: Brian O'Malley, 202-675-6279

           Sierra Club Applauds States' Global Warming Law Suit
 Statement by David Hamilton, Director, Global Warming and Energy
Program,
                                Sierra Club

Today, the Sierra Club applauds the city and states that have filed suit
in
an attempt to force five of America's largest energy utilities to cut
carbon dioxide emissions - the heat trapping gas that causes global
warming.  This is a bold step towards curbing global warming, and stands
in
stark contrast to the Bush administration's refusal to address this
issue.

The plaintiffs in this case - California, Connecticut, Iowa, New Jersey,
New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin, and New York City - are
suing
five of America's largest energy utilities, alleging that their CO2
emissions constitutes a "public nuisance," and threatens irreparable and
ongoing harm to their communities and families.  The five companies -
TVA,
AEP, Southern, Excel Energy, and Cynergy - own 174 fossil-fueled power
plants that emit approximately 650 tons of CO2 per year.  This is
approximately  of all CO2 emitted from U.S. utilities, and almost 10
percent of the nation's total CO2 emissions.  The suit seeks to force
these
polluters to dramatically cut their greenhouse gas emissions.

Inaction by the Bush administration has left states and communities with
no
other option but to take matters into their own hands and go after our
biggest polluters.  This lawsuit alone will not stop global warming -
but
it is an important first step.  While we applaud this coalitions'
efforts,
the Sierra Club looks to the rest of the United States to increase
efforts
to reduce global warming emissions and protect our environment for our
children and our communities.

                                   # # #