E-M:/ Public Health and enforcing environmental laws

An essay in the July 2004 issue of Harper's Magazine:

"We Are Not Immune, Influenza, SARS and the collapse of public health" by Ronald J. Glasser, M.D.,
discusses the breakdown of the public health system in the United States and focuses on modern animal agricultural production and pollution as a major cause of preventable disease.

It is very distressing that our Michigan Republican controlled legislature is willing to put the public at risk for disease and death by refusing to allow the DEQ to enforce environmental laws, by slashing their budget.
The risks from modern animal agricultural practices and pollution are very real and are a potential widespread threat to public health.

Kathy Melmoth, RN