E-M:/ GRAND TRAVERSE BAYKEEPER BOAT DEBUT

Below is a press release regarding the launch of the new Grand Traverse Baykeeper boat.  In addition, an article and photo about this project can be found at www.gtherald.com

If you live or are visiting the Grand Traverse Bay area on any of these days, be sure to stop by for a visit – the boat is very cool, and the Moomers Baykeeper Wave ice cream is delicious.

BAYKEEPER TUGBOAT MAKES DEBUT ON THE BAY

Traverse City, MI-- The days of plying the waters of Grand Traverse Bay and its 132 miles of shoreline by kayak for John Nelson have come and gone.  The Watershed Center of Grand Traverse Bay is launching its new Baykeeper Tugboat, their mode of transportation to protect the region’s lakes and streams.

The Watershed Center is celebrating its 10th anniversary of preserving and protecting the area’s waters, and in conjunction with launching the new boat they will be conducting an Inaugural Baykeeper Outreach Tour.

“We are excited to be able to get out on the water in our new boat. It is a visible symbol of our commitment to preserve and protect our waters now and for future generations,” says John Nelson, the Watershed Center’s Baykeeper.

The tour, which will be making stops at numerous marinas in the area this summer, will introduce residents and visitors to the Baykeeper program and how they can help the watershed, allow people to view the tug, as well as enjoy Moomers ice cream- a special blend made just for the Watershed Center.

The 23-foot aluminum tugboat will be used to pursue the Baykeeper’s mission of being the “eyes, ears, and voice” for Grand Traverse Bay and its watershed.  The boat will be used to patrol the bay, conduct outreach and education and serve as a monitoring platform.  The tugboat, partially built by volunteers, will make monitoring the waters much quicker and easier than during the days of the kayak.

The tour will be from 1:00-5:00 at the following stops:

        Saturday July 24 Suttons Bay Marina
        Saturday July 31 Elk Rapids Marina
       Saturday Aug 7   Traverse City Clinch Park Marina
        Saturday Aug 14 Northport Marina
        Saturday Aug 21 Clam River at the Dockside

For additional information about the tour or about The Watershed Center Grand Traverse Bay, log on to www.gtbay.org or call 231-935-1514.

###

Anne Brasie

The Watershed Center Grand Traverse Bay