E-M:/ Water Legacy Town Halls

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <Dfarough@house.mi.gov>

Folks,

List of Town Halls on water legacy (anti-water diversion bills) below.
MI League of Conservation Voters is hosting many of the town halls in
locations below.  In addition to MI LCV, many other environmental groups
deserve an enormous amount of credit in helping to spearhead hearings
and engage the public, including Clean Water Action, National Wildlife
Federation and the Sierra Club.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, August 9, 2004	                        Contact:

Dan Farough
Cell: (517) 303-5270

Jeff Irwin, Director MI League of Conservation Voters
Ph: (734) 222-9650

Democrats, conservation voters rally for Water Legacy Act
Public encouraged to attend Town Hall meetings, voice support for
legislation

LANSING - House Democrats and the Michigan League of Conservation
Voters launched a series of Town Hall meetings this month meant to
mobilize public support and press the Michigan Legislature into action
regarding the Water Legacy Act, which would protect our Great Lakes
against thirsty states who try to divert our water.
	"Our Great Lakes should not be bottled up, sold, or shipped
off to other states," said House Democratic Leader Dianne Byrum
(D-Onondaga).
The Town Hall meetings will host experts from the DEQ and conservation
organizations who will discuss the need for legislative action to
prevent water diversion and the economic consequences should we fail to
act.
	Earlier this year, Governor Jennifer M. Granholm called on state
lawmakers to adopt a comprehensive water protection statute that will
protect, preserve and manage Michigan's water resources. While House
and Senate Democrats heeded Gov. Granholm's call and presented to her
pledges they had signed from the Michigan League of Conservation Voters,
the Republican majority in the Michigan Legislature has unfortunately
chosen to drag its feet. In fact, not one single hearing has been held
on the Water Legacy Act (House Bill 5634 and
-more-

(2)
Senate Bill 1087) in the past seven months.
"I am happy to join in this effort to rally public support for the
Water Legacy Act," said
Jeff Irwin, director of the Michigan League of Conservation Voters.
"We are focused on holding lawmakers accountable, and we're
urging them to take action on this vital piece of legislation.  Our
lawmakers know that 80% of Michigan residents support immediate action
on the Water Legacy Act.  Now, the public needs to know which
legislators are acting to protect the Great Lakes and which legislators
are ignoring the calls from the citizens of Michigan."
Although some in the Legislature believe the protection of our water
resources is an issue
that requires more study, the fact is that scientists sounded the alarm
two decades ago that the Great Lakes needed protection from water
diversion threats.
	With the population exploding in the notoriously arid
Southwestern states, Michigan's resources - including one-fifth of the
world's supply of fresh water - are more in demand than ever.
"Michigan legislators have a responsibility to do everything in their
power to protect the Great Lakes," said State Representative Chris
Kolb (D-Ann Arbor), who sponsored HB 5634.  The alarm was sounded 20
years ago that our water is in peril.  Every minute of delay puts our
economy and the health and viability of our Great Lakes in peril.   Let
these town halls serve as a wake up call to action."
 (Please see attached for a schedule of upcoming Town Hall meetings.)

###

WATER LEGACY
Town Hall Schedule
August - September

Tues., Aug 17th	 	Rep. Vagnozzi Town Hall
				Farmington Hills City Council
				3155 W. Eleven Mile
				Farmington Hills, MI
				7:00pm-8:30pm
				Rep. Aldo Vagnozzi
				Steve Chester, Director, DEQ
				Jeff Irwin, Director, MI LCV

Wed. Aug 18th		Rep Bieda Town Hall
				Warren Recreation Center
				5460 Arden Rd.
				Warren, MI 48092
				7:30pm-9:00pm
				Rep. Steve Bieda
				Skip Pruss, Deputy Director,
DEQ
                                                                Jeff
Irwin, Director, MI LCV

Wed., Aug 25th		Michigan League of Conservation Voters
				Pittsfield Twp. Hall
				6201 W. Michigan Ave
				Ann Arbor, MI 48108
				7:00pm - 9:00pm
				Ken DeBeaussaert, Director, Office of
the Great Lakes
				Rep. Chris Kolb
				Sen. Liz Brater
				Jeff Irwin, Director, MI LCV

Tues., Aug 31st		Michigan League Conservation Voters
				Norton Shores Library
				705 Seminole
				Muskegon, MI
				7:00pm - 9:00pm
                                                                Steve
Chester, Director, DEQ
                                                                Jeff
Irwin, Director of MI LCV

Wed., Sept 1		Michigan League of Conservation Voters
				Fenton Community
Center
				150 S. Leroy
				Fenton, MI 48430
				7:00pm - 9:00pm
				Governor Jennifer Granholm
				Steve Chester, Director, DEQ
				Jeff Irwin, Director, MI LCV

Thurs.., Sept. 2		Rep. Law Town Hall
				Brownstown Rec. Bldg.
				21311 Telegraph
				Brownstown, MI 48183
				7:00pm-8:30pm
				Rep. Kathleen Law
				Ken DeBeaussaert, Director, Office of
Great Lakes

Tues., Sept 7 		Michigan League of Conservation Voters
				Monroe County Court House
				125 East Second Street
				Monroe, MI
				7:00pm - 9:00pm
				Ken DeBeaussaert, Director, Office of
the Great Lakes
				Jeff Irwin, Director, MI LCV

Tues., Sept 14th		Michigan League of Conservation Voters
				Shiawassee County
				Location Pending

Dan Farough
Press Secretary