E-M:/ Request for Assistance in Identifying Contaminated Sites from Oil Drilling in Michigan

Enviro-Mich message from "Tanya Cabala" <tcabala@lakemichigan.org>

Over the past few years, the Lake Michigan Federation has been compiling information on environmental problems, such as soil and groundwater contamination, associated with past oil drilling practices.  We have been made aware of several sites in West Michigan that have lingering contamination problems and have held forums in Pentwater, Muskegon, and Manistee to alert local residents.  Property owners and areas residents have pushed hard for cleanups, but feel as if the sites are not considered a high priority by the division that oversees oil and gas production - what used to be the Geological Survey Division and is now the Geological and Land Management Division.  Several former staff in that division have told us that unfortunately, these sites are typical of others throughout the state and that they are "the tip of the iceberg."

One of the main problems in addressing these problems is that there has been no statewide database of sites contaminated by oil drilling since the mid1990s, so getting information is challenging. Many of the sites are on farms and in rural areas; out of sight and out of mind.  The Federation is working with local citizens to get these sites cleaned up and is urging stronger oversight at the state level and more attention to local concerns and restoration when there are problems.  For the Federation to move forward on this, we need your help.  If you are aware of any old or current oil drilling or production sites that have had problems with spills and/or leaks, please contact me at (616) 850-0745 or tcabala@lakemichigan.org <mailto:tcabala@lakemichigan.org>.

Thank you,

Tanya Cabala
Associate Director
Lake Michigan Federation