E-M:/ ESA Grey Wolf removal

[Federal Register: August 13, 2004 (Volume 69, Number 156)]
[Proposed Rules]
[Page 50147]

 >From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]

[DOCID:fr13au04-27]

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
Fish and Wildlife Service
50 CFR Part 17
RIN 1018-AJ03

Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Removing the
Eastern Distinct Population Segment of the Gray Wolf From the List of
Endangered and Threatened Wildlife

AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.
ACTION: Proposed rule; notice of public hearings.

SUMMARY: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service or we) announces
that we will hold nine public hearings on our proposed rule to remove
the Eastern Distinct Population Segment of the gray wolf (Canis lupus)
from the List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife established under
the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended. This action carries out
our stated intent in the proposed rule to hold public hearings.

DATES: See SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION for hearing dates.

ADDRESSES: See SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION for hearing addresses.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Direct all questions or requests for
additional information to the Service using the Gray Wolf Phone Line:
(612) 713-7337, facsimile: (612) 713-5292, the general gray wolf
electronic mail address: <A
HREF="mailto:GRAYWOLFMAIL@FWS.GOV";>GRAYWOLFMAIL@FWS.GOV</A>, or write to:
Gray Wolf
Questions, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Federal Building, 1 Federal
Drive, Ft. Snelling, MN 55111-4056. Additional information is also
available on our World Wide Web site at <A HREF="
http://midwest.fws.gov/wolf";>http://midwest.fws.gov/
wolf</A>. In the event that our internet connection is not
functional, please contact the Service by the alternative methods
mentioned above. Individuals who are hearing-impaired or speech-impaired
may call the Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8337 for TTY assistance.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Background

     On July 21, 2004, we published a proposed rule (69 FR 43664) to
remove the Eastern Distinct Population Segment (DPS) of the gray wolf
(Canis lupus) from the List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife
established under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended (16
U.S.C. 1531 et seq.). We proposed this action because available data
indicate that this DPS no longer meets the definitions of threatened or
endangered under the Act. The gray wolf population is stable or
increasing in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, and exceeds its
numerical recovery criteria. Completed State wolf management plans will
provide adequate protection and management to the species in these
three States if the gray wolf is delisted in the Eastern DPS. The
proposed rule would remove this DPS from the protections of the Act by
ending its threatened classification. This proposed rule would also
remove the currently designated critical habitat for the gray wolf in
Minnesota and Michigan and remove the current special regulations for
gray wolves in Minnesota and other Midwestern States. This proposal
would not change the status or special regulations currently in place
for the Western or Southwestern DPSs of the gray wolf or for the red
wolf (C. rufus).
     In our July 21, 2004, proposed rule, we stated that we would hold
public hearings. Consistent with that document, we are now announcing
the dates and locations of those hearings.

Hearings

     All hearings will consist of an informational open house from 6:30
p.m. to 7 p.m., a presentation on the proposal and question and answer
session from 7 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., and the official public hearings from
7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. We will hold nine public hearings on the following
dates and at the following locations:
     1. Bemidji, MN, on August 31, 2004, at Bemidji State University,
Beaux Arts Ballroom--Hobson Memorial Union, 1500 Birchmont Drive NE.
     2. Virginia, MN, on September 1, 2004, at the Mesabi Range
Community College, F100--Fine Arts Theater, 1001 Chestnut Street West.
     3. Bloomington, MN, on October 6, 2004, at the Minnesota Valley
National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center, 3815 American Blvd. East.
     4. Marquette, MI, on September 13, 2004, at Northern Michigan
University, Explorer Room, Don Bottum Conference Center, 540 West Kaye
Avenue (park in lot #8).
     5. Sault Ste. Marie, MI, on September 14, 2004, at Lake Superior
State University, Cisler Center, Ontario Room, 650 West Easterday
Avenue (park in lots A, B, E, J, or X after 5 p.m.).
     6. East Lansing, MI, on September 15, 2004, at Michigan State
University, BioMedical and Physical Science Building-Auditorium, corner
of Wilson and Farm Lane (parking allowed in staff or faculty spaces
after 6 p.m.).
     7. Madison, WI, on September 27, 2004, at the University of
Wisconsin Union South, 227 North Randall Avenue.
     8. Wausau, WI, on September 28, 2004, at the Westwood Conference
Center, Westwood Conference Room, 1800 West Bridge Street.
     9. Ashland, WI, on September 29, 2004, at the Northern Great Lakes
Center, 29270 County Highway G.

     Dated: August 6, 2004.
Elizabeth H. Stevens,
Acting Director, Fish and Wildlife Service.
[FR Doc. 04-18617 Filed 8-11-04; 9:23 am]
BILLING CODE 4310-55-P

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com