E-M:/ Then & Now: Bush on Great Lakes Water Diversion

THEN:

Even though experts say "diverting any water from the Great Lakes region
sets a bad precedent" Bush "said he wants to talk to Canadian Prime Minister
Jean Chretien about piping water to parched states in the west and
southwest." He said, "A lot of people don't need [the water], but when you
head South and West, we do need it."

- AP, 7/19/01; Bush statement, 7/18/01

Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/07/20010718.html

NOW:

"We've got to use our resources wisely, like water. It starts with keeping
the Great Lakes water in the Great Lakes Basin. (Applause.) You might
remember what my opponent said earlier this year about Great Lakes water
diversion. He said it would be a delicate balancing act. It sounds just like
him. My position is clear: We're never going to allow diversion of Great
Lakes water."

- President Bush, 8/16/04

Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/08/20040816-4.html