Re: E-M:/ The Importance of State Politics

Enviro-Mich message from "Mark Richardson" <Mark.Richardson@macombcountymi.gov>

Let me add another retro before quitting time:

All township supervisors and trustees who are in the pockets of real estate developers

At 01:46 PM 08/19/2004, you wrote:

>The Nation (Aug. 2/9,2004) has a good article on the importance of working
>at the state level to advance progressive programs.
><http://www.thenation.com>  "Devolve this!"  I recommend you check it out.
>
>Jessica DeForest

While you're checking out The Nation piece which is very applicable to
Michigan, also check out the brand new site and online book at
http://www.retrovsmetro.org

In the spirit of retrovsmetro.org.....

.....my own nomination for "Michigan Retros"

Michigan Farm Bureau
Uncontrolled gasoline vapor emissions from vehicle fueling in Michigan
The Mackinac Center in Midland
Zebra mussels, round goby's and purple loosestrife and especially Asian Carp
Dow Chemical dioxin contamination apologists
Russ Harding
Lead shot and lead paint
Michigan legislature trashing of local controls over CAFO operations
Michigan Supreme Court Justices Maura Corrigan, Stephen Markman,
      Clifford Taylor and Robert Young, Jr. and their environmental
protection trashing
Bleached kraft pulp mill odors and effluents in Muskegon, Quinnessec and
Escanaba
SE Michigan 40 year failure to develop light rail mass transit system
Michigan House Speaker Rick Johnson
Great Lakes water diversion outside of the basin
The Hamtramck medical waste incinerator
Michigan Right to Life
MDEQ's Wastewater Permit for New Large CAFOs
Tondu Energy Corporation
John Engler's Congressional Redistricting
Uncontrolled ocean going freighter ballast water discharge of exotic
species in Great Lakes
Congressman Mike Rogers
MDA/NRCS/MAEAP policies encouraging winter application of animal waste.
Anti-Beach-Walking Michigan Court of Appeals Judges
The Chicago/Illinois/Indiana Lake Michigan Ozone Plume
All Detroit News editorial writers [with occasional exceptions]
Michigan oil drilling site onsite drilling mud pits
Kellogg's breakfast cereal Spidey Man Mercury Battery-containing play toy
Out of state municipal solid waste disposed in Michigan
Republican House member plans to destroy air toxics regulation in Michigan.
Michigan audit privilege and environmental immunity statute
Betsy DeVos trying to run Michigan and the world from Grand Rapids
Uncontrolled mercury and freon emissions from auto shredding and salvage
operations
SE Michigan sprawl into Washtenaw, Livingston and Lapeer Counties
Open burning of trash and leaves by citizens in Michigan
Waste disposal industry making Sumpter Township a national sacrifice area.
Michigan legislators who are members of the American Legislative Exchange
Council

Michigan Metros

William G. Milliken
Michigan's "bottle bill"
MDNR Forest Division rustic state forest campgrounds
Kary Moss, Michigan ACLU Director
http://www.nocafos.org and all of their volunteer activists
Michigan Land Use Institute
George Weeks, Detroit News Political Writer
Jennifer Granholm
http://www.deq.state.mi.us/aqi/o3.asp   [MDEQ's Real Time air quality data
site]
Cool Cities
Michigan as swing state in presidential election
Anne Woiwode, Michigan Sierra Club Director and Meridian Township Trustee
Selective Catalytic Reduction Smog Controls being installed at Consumers
Energy         and Detroit Edison Power Plants
John McCain winning the Michigan Republican Primary in 2000
Sierra Club activist volunteers everywhere in our state
The Little River Band of Ottawa Indians
http://www.wunderground.com   Michigan's own Weather Underground
Frank Kelley
Brave MDEQ toxicologists and aquatic biologists; MDNR fisheries protectors
Retired Detroit Free Press political writer, Hugh McDiarmid
The Spinal Column (Oakland County newspaper)
MDEQ new/modified source air permit engineers
John Engler out of Michigan office
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Reverend Phil Schmitter and Sister Joannie Chiaverini, environmental justice
         activists at the St. Francis Prayer Center in NE Flint
Steve Chester, MDEQ Director
Michigan public television "Off the Record" and "Michigan at Risk" and
Michigan
         Public Radio Network news
http://www.great-lakes.net  Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN)
Dave Dempsey, Michigan Environmental Council staff member and writer
Dedicated MDEQ, MDNR, EPA, FWS field/district workers, law enforcers,
middle    managers and other public servants, everywhere
The Guild Law Center in Detroit
Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Lake Superior shoreline
The Mackinac Bridge
Republican Congressional Candidate Joe Schwarz, MD
John Dingell, Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow
The memory of G. Mennen Williams, Phil Hart and Walter and Victor Reuther
Motown Records, the MC5 and Ted Nugent

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com