From: Lauri828@aol.com [mailto:Lauri828@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:37 AM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ Then & Now: Bush on Great Lakes Water Diversion

	THEN:

	Even though experts say "diverting any water from the Great
Lakes region
	sets a bad precedent" Bush "said he wants to talk to Canadian
Prime Minister
	Jean Chretien about piping water to parched states in the west
and
	southwest." He said, "A lot of people don't need [the water],
but when you
	head South and West, we do need it."

	- AP, 7/19/01; Bush statement, 7/18/01

	Source:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/07/20010718.html

	NOW:

	"We've got to use our resources wisely, like water. It starts
with keeping
	the Great Lakes water in the Great Lakes Basin. (Applause.) You
might
	remember what my opponent said earlier this year about Great
Lakes water
	diversion. He said it would be a delicate balancing act. It
sounds just like
	him. My position is clear: We're never going to allow diversion
of Great
	Lakes water."

	- President Bush, 8/16/04

	Source: