The Bay City Times

August 27, 2004

Thanks for EPA support, now get numbers to agree

Friday, August 27, 2004

Before this fuzzy talk of support among government agencies goes much further, they ought to get their numbers to agree.

Until they do, Dow Chemical can continue to insist that the EPA's cleanup standard should apply.

It's unfortunate that the editorial staff at the BC Times chose to ignore the comments by EPA which state that the dioxin levels in fish pose an "unacceptable risk" to human health. Of particular concern  in EPA's comments were risks to children, the  developing fetus and women of childbearing age. Instead the BCT  focus on whatever best supports Dow Chemical's position or assertions. I will suggest that the editorial staff read Dow's License issued in June of 2003. The license ( not contested by Dow) subjects Dow to Corrective Action under Part 201 and 111 of MICHIGAN LAW. Our standard is 90ppt.

To date no one, no editorial board, no legislator or Dow has demonstrated that the antiquated  number of 1,000ppt is safe. In May of this year  EPA stated they recognize and support more stringent state standards. A standard of 1,000ppt places public health and the natural resources of these Great Lakes at risk. If  government and the people of Michigan fail to protect these Great Lakes and tributaries there is little hope for smaller, less conspicuous ecosystems.  We should not be in the business of doing what is most convenient or comfortable for  the polluter.

Michelle Hurd Riddick

Lone Tree Council