E-M:/ National Public Lands Day

Enviro-Mich message from "Richards, Michele M." <michele.richards@mi.ngb.army.mil>

Greetings!

On Saturday, September 18, 2004, Fort Custer Training Center (FCTC)(NOT the
Recreation Area) will be hosting a National Public Lands Day event.
Activities will include building bat houses, planting trees in a new
environmental landscaping demo, and possibly even building an osprey
platform.  FCTC (and the adjoining Fort Custer Recreation Area) is a unique
jewel in the urban landscape of southwest Michigan.  With approximately 7500
acres of natural area, it is one of the few places in this region that
provides a home to plants, animals and trees with contiguous cover and
excellent environmental management.

National Public Lands Day is a program of the National Environmental
Education & Training Foundation in partnership with federal, state and local
public land agencies and organizations.  This partnership encourages taking
pride in America by helping to protect and improve the inheritance of scenic
landscapes in our country.  More information on the national level can be
found at www.npld.com.

To register to participate (free) you must contact Michele Richards at
Michele.richards@mi.ngb.army.mil, or call at 269-731-6507.  Bring a sack
lunch and carpentry/gardening equipment if you have it.  We will have a
limited supply available.  If you are not pre-registered by 9/15/04 you will
not be able to participate.

Michele Richards
Natural Resources Analyst
Ft. Custer Training Center