E-M:/ Digital images of geology contest...MDEQ

From: "Steven E. Wilson" <Wilsonse@michigan.gov>
To: <markherrick@ameritech.net>,<BERGDAVID2@aol.com>, <DianCn@aol.com>,
         ...snip... <scienceteacherman4@yahoo.com>, <sharatz@yahoo.com>
Subject: Digital Images of GEOLOGY contest update and more

Dear Educator:

As the new school begins, just a quick reminder that the DIGITAL IMAGES OF GEOLOGY contest has started.  We will be accepting email entries from students over the next five months.  For more information and details please go to www.michigan.gov/deqgeologyinmichigan (deq geology in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />michigan - all lower case no s p a c e s) then select Digital Images of Geology option.

As part of Earth Science Week, in partnership with the DNR Parks Eddy Discovery Center, we are sponsoring the Digital Images of Geology (DIG) Contest.  We invite and challenge Michigan students to use a multi-disciplinary approach to explore the geology around them to help them decide on a subject (or subjects), and they learn about the art of photography and digital technology as they develop their entries.  Students will also write a short essay documenting what they did.  You will note that we will only accept digital images sent via email.  Entries and other selected images will be displayed and the winners announced at the Annual Michigan Science Teacher Association meeting.  Students who enter will receive a certificate and their images will be posted on the DEQ web site for future access and developments.

I hope to receive entries from your students.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Annual Geology Arts Fair
Preview the new 'Step Into Time' trail

There will be special programs, geology hikes and demonstrations offered at various times during both days on topics related to geology, rocks, minerals, fossils and lapidary techniques. Hands-on activities for kids will be available. Many minerals and fossil specimens will be for sale. No advance registration. State Park Permit required for entry to State Park.

The Eddy Discovery Center is located on Bush Road between Pierce and McClure Roads  west of Chelsea. Take 1-94 to exit 157 (Pierce Road) and go north to Bush Road. Take Bush Road west (left) to the center.

Dates:       Saturday  September 18, 2004 -10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
                   Sunday  September 19, 2004 - 10 AM to 4 PM
Promoter: Michigan DNR & Midwest Mineralogical & Lapidary Society
Contact:    Eddy Discovery Center, 10730 Bush Rd., (313) 475-3170
                   or - Norm Hansc˙˙˙˙ˆě hu,  (734) 455-8596, nwhanschu@prodigy.net

I Hope to see you there!

* * * * * * * * * * *

MINERALOGY OF MICHIGAN Revised

Mineralogy of Michigan:  Updated and revised by George W. Robinson, A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum, 2004.  This is a major revision and expansion of this important reference in an 8.5" by 11" format with over one hundred full color illustrations of minerals found in Michigan, paperback.   $ 45.00

Hardbound version and quantity discounts are available through A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum, Michigan Technological University, 1400 Townsend Drive, Houghton, Michigan 49931-1295, (906) 487-2572 web www.museum.mtu.edu

* * * * * * * * * * *

MICHIGAN FOSSILS

POSTER v MI Fossils Poster:  Twenty four of the usual suspects from Precambrian to Pleistocene, vertebrates, invertebrates and plants, statewide.  Folded to 8.5 x 11 or flat 17 x 22, sent rolled, please specify.  Flat - $1.50 / Rolled $3.50

FLASH CARDS v Flash Cards:  Used as a teaching tool.  Set of 36, 3.5" x 2.5" cards.  Includes 9 sedimentary rocks as well as fossils from the above poster.     $2.00

If you have any questions, comments, corrections or other information please contact me.

Sincerely,

Steve Wilson
MI DEQ, Office of Geological Survey
525 W. Allegan, 1st Floor, South Tower, East Wing
Lansing, MI 48909-7756
wilsonse@michigan.gov